Ah – chah – chai (It rhymes with “draw the sky”)
Where did that name come from?
“Achachay!” is slang in Ecuador, borrowed from the native language Quechua. It is an onomatopoeia that means, “Burrrr, it’s cold!” While traveling in Ecuador, lead singer Jordan Myska Allen began booking shows in Austin, TX and corresponding with drummer Ryan Greenblatt, although they had never played together. Jordan picked a fun word in order to confirm the first show for the unborn band, and it stuck.
What’s your purpose?
Achachay! is on a mission to get people making merry, thinking deeply, and doing good. We strive to push music and the music industry to new frontiers in creativity, accessibility, and integrity. We create songs and performances with many layers of meaning, but always remember to laugh and not take ourselves too seriously.
How did you all get together? What have you done so far?
Jordan and Ryan met through a mutual best friend in the Fall of 2008. They found Hooch on Craigslist in the Winter of 2009. Since then, they’ve toured extensively, playing hundreds of shows in more than 50 cities. Their three southeast/northeast tours and multiple western US tours have placed them in front of booty shaking audiences in 28 states.
They also recorded two five song EP’s. “Handy Escape Coach” the recently released second recording is included in this package.
What’s up with Achachay! and the Gorilla Run:
Recently Achachay!’s Jordan M. Allen instigated and helped organized the first ever Austin Gorilla Run, a 5k where everyone runs wearing a gorilla suit. The run has continued onto its second year. Together the events raised over $100,000 for the Mountain Gorilla Conservation Fund, an international organization that protects the endangered mountain gorillas by educating veterianarians in Rwanda, Uganda, and the Democratic Republic of Congo.
Achachay! plays the after party.
The “I don’t have much time so I just want to scan some bullet points” basic info about Achachay:
• FUNK ROCK with a heavy dose of LATIN and DANCE grooves.
• High energy live show. Guaranteed to make the crowd’s booties shake!
• Toured extensively across the US including eight six week long tours, on both coasts
• From Austin, TX with a draw in Houston, New Orleans, Boston, New York City, St. Louis, Chicago, San Francisco, Los Angeles, Seattle, Denver, Oklahoma, and many other cities/towns.
• Conscientious of the environment (moving toward using bio-diesel).
• Can play several hours of original funk rock and hot cover material ranging from classic rock to hip hop.
• Three travel loving, hard working, attractive twenty-somethings on a mission to give your patrons a night to remember. Each member with over 10 years of experience on their instrument.
• Live shows featured in Jackson Beach, FL’s “Folio Weekly,” Worcester, MA’s “Telegram,” and Chicago’s “Illinois Entertainer”
• Have played in 28 different states
• Have played in over 100 different cities
Festivals and Radio:
• Played Voodoo Music Experience 2011 with Soundgarden, Blink 182, Snoop Dogg, etc. Shared the stage with Fitz and the Tantrums
• Opened Applejam Music Festival 2011 in Ashland Oregon
• Opened Stillwater’s F*ck Cancer 2011 Benefit festival
• Live on air performance on 90.1 KPFT Peace Radio in Houston, TX, WTUL 91.5 FM in New Orleans, LA, KPCW in Park City, UT, and KAFM in Grand Junction, CO .
• Also featured on community radio in Stillwater, OK, Park City Utah, Grand Junction, CO, Ashland Oregon, Olympia, Washington, Gunnison, CO, and Telluride, CO, and Houston, TX.
Want to know more? Check out this interview, and the following videos:
Meet the band members:
Ryan Greenblatt (drums)
Ryan “Hooch” Stallings (bass/vocals)